March 31,
This weekend was spent in Valencia staying with my friend Isabel who is studying there. We had a really fun time together especially considering it was only the third time we’d met and hung out! We happened to get into Portugal at the same time for our layovers and talked in the customs line with another girl who was studying in Sevilla. We exchanged contacts and messaged a bit but in the beginning of March she ended up visiting Sevilla with her parents. While she was here I showed her around and took her out for the night with a group of friends and then went and got lunch the next day. After talking and figuring out that I’d need a weekend trip since all my friends would be traveling I decided to buy tickets to go to Valencia since it would be cheap as I slept on a mattress in her living room. It wasn’t exactly a weekend of a lot of sight seeing but having a friend living in the city I got to engage with lots of different people and see the city more as an insider than just a tourist. Her friend was kind enough to let me borrow his second bike pass for the weekend which made getting around cheap and easy. I did see some big attractions there such as the market, the city of arts and sciences, the park they have running through the city and a few other things. But most of the weekend was spent meeting other international students which allowed me to practice my Spanish quite a bit as I met people from Spain, Colombia, Bolivia, Argentina and even more countries. On Saturday night I even learned how to bachata and salsa dance a bit which I ended up enjoying a lot. It’s crazy that I was able to have this experience just because I made a friend in an airport. Anything can happen while you’re studying abroad and it’s fun to see all the friends I’ve made along the way!
       ~Avery

Comments